What is SafeRide?
SafeRide is a student-sponsored transportation service that provides a safe ride home for KU students at night. A SafeRide driver will pick up passengers (whether at the library, a bar, work, etc.) and drive them home anywhere within city limits. Drivers will not take passengers to another bar.
KU students can schedule a ride using the SafeRide app or by calling 785-864-SAFE .
During fall and spring semesters, SafeRide operates from 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m., 7 days a week, except during class breaks and holidays.
During the summer semester, SafeRide operates from 10:30 p.m. to 2:30 a.m. Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights, and on July 4th.
View Service Calendar (PDF)
Schedule a Ride
Only KU students can schedule a ride. Passengers must show a valid student KU Card. Schedule a ride using the SafeRide app or by calling 785-864-SAFE .
When calling for a ride:
Before you call, get to a place where the dispatcher can hear you and have the following information ready:
- Have your KU ID number and KU Card ready. Your KU Card is your ticket to a safe ride home. You must show your KU Card to the driver. (No card = no service.)
- Know your exact location. The dispatchers will determine which car is closest to you. The name of a business, restaurant, etc., near your location will also help drivers determine where to pick you up.
- Give your home address to the dispatcher. SafeRide dispatchers must keep track of each car’s location and destination to determine which car is best able to serve both you and other callers.
- Know how many passengers are riding. Gathering your friends before you call ensures shorter wait times for all callers. Help your fellow Jayhawks out and do a head-count before you call.
- Know when and where to wait. Keep track of when and where the dispatcher tells you to wait. The SafeRide driver can't call you when they arrive and will only wait 5-10 minutes before moving on to their next passenger.
- Stand in a well-lit area and watch for your ride. A car or van with the official KU SafeRide logo will usually arrive within 10-15 minutes from the time you scheduled your trip.
Note to Scholarship Hall residents: Due to past issues, SafeRide cars generally do not enter the area around 14th & Tennessee. The SafeRide dispatcher will most likely recommend an alternate drop-off location that may still require that you walk a block or two to get home. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Please help us keep SafeRide as safe as possible for you and all of our passengers by following these rules at all times:
- No smoking, eating, drinking, littering, running, vandalism or graffiti.
- No loud or intrusive use of profanity/obscenities or other disorderly conduct, including threatening or harassing behavior to other passengers and/or driver.
- No inappropriate/distracting conversation with the driver.
- No fighting or conduct allowed that could pose a threat to public safety.
- No firearms, other weapons, or hazardous materials.
- No pets allowed, with the exception of certified service animals trained to assist individuals with disabilities.
- Keep hands, arms, heads and personal belongings inside the vehicle while it is in motion.
- No solicitation for commercial or non-commercial purposes, including KU Events.
- Do not take up more than one seat or place your feet on the seats.
- Use headsets or earphones with electronic listening or music devices.
- Do not open windows without the permission of the driver.
- Shirt and shoes are required.
- Follow all requests made by the driver.
- Report suspicious behavior to the driver.